Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Resolutions (um, er, Goals)



I figure there is accountability in doing this publicly, even if I am the only one who reads this blog. Just having them "out there" makes me feel more responsible to fulfill them. I read a blog this week where the author broke down her resolutions into several categories. And called them goals. Being a bit type-A, and voted Most Organized of EHS Class of '90, I liked the idea. So, here goes. I'm sure I'll be updating (and lowering the bar) as time goes on.

Books to Read (this is a tough one...I don't usually plan my reading this far in advance)
  • The Screwtape Letters, C.S. Lewis: I started this one and enjoyed it, but it's definitely a "thinker" so I abandoned it in favor of some Tudor England historical fiction fluff.
  • The Shack: I keep hearing that I need to read it. Can't imagine that it's something I'll enjoy, but I am feeling drawn to it.
  • More Tudor England historical fiction. I am addicted. It's sad, really. But if I only read on the elliptical machine, then it's a great motivation to work out.
Family Goals
  • Involve the kids more in ministry activities. I want them to see Faith in Action, and not just our annual charity project of the same name. I want to get them involved in serving somewhere, in some way.
  • Continue, even after 10 years, to build a cohesive family and not allow actions of others to interfere in that.
Financial Goals
  • Follow our monthly cash budget and increase savings
  • Build our 6-8 month living expenses savings account
  • Find a way to contribute to our income by working from home
  • Continue to shop bargains and save as much of our cash budget as I can.
Homemaking Goals
  • Organize and declutter. Constantly. Without ceasing.
  • Get storage furniture for gameroom and our bedroom.
  • Add shelving to closets and laundry room
  • Repaint kitchen, hall, half bath, homeschool room and office. Maybe the game room, too. I'm gonna need a power roller. Better add that to the budget category. :)
Homeschool Goals
  • Do a better job of documenting our days
  • Decide on a curriculum, whether to build my own or go with Sonlight again
  • If we go with Sonlight, I need to dedicate to trying to follow their schedule at least closely enough to keep my type-A tendencies from causing me a breakdown.
  • Increase O's writing fluency and comfort level. She has made huge strides in handwriting and spelling, continue same approach with writing.
  • Keep Olivia involved in extras: drums, swim, maybe co-op again?
  • More field trips
Personal Goals
  • Lose 50 lbs. May be a little too ambitious, but that's the reality of it.
  • Cardio exercise 3x weekly.
  • Watch my diet and plan healthier meals, not comfort foods
  • Go to bed and get up at a consistent time. Wake earlier.
  • Make a habit of taking time for myself, including my "planning weekend" at the lake before school starts in the Fall.
Places to Visit
  • Family, as always
  • Dealey Plaza museum in Dallas
  • Tut exhibit in Dallas in Spring, and Indianapolis in Summer
  • Ideally, Disney. Or a cruise. Or a Disney cruise. Realistically, save money toward that in '10 or '11.
Spiritual Goals
  • Spend time daily studying my Bible
  • Focus on fruits of the Spirit: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control. The less time I spend with God, the less those qualities are apparent in me.
  • Avoid people who are negative and try to bring a positive light to the negative people that I have to be around
  • Commit to Bible study with my group, completing each lesson.
  • Do a better job of teaching the kids, and talking through their spiritual questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment