Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Crockpottin' kind of day at Casa De La Garza

Olivia is sick. I am recovering, but am not quite well. Max was well enough to drag himself to work, where he was told that he looks like "death warmed over" and will be sent home just as soon as he can be spared to leave.

I had some grand goals for today when I went to bed last night. Turns out a few of them are going to have to wait until tomorrow. But, I did do the following:
  • scrubbed and put about 20 sweet potatoes in the oven. I'm going to mash them and freeze them for later. (they were really cheap at Costco last week, 29 cents per pound) The fun part will be when they are done baking in an hour and I'm too tired to deal with them! :P
  • dropped a chicken carcass (from an HEB rotisserie chicken) into some water in my small crockpot to make homemade broth
  • put a chuck roast on in the second crockpot with potatoes, carrots and gravy. This was actually quite exciting for the frugal homemaker in me...I got a huge roast at Randalls for $6. It was too big to fit into my crockpot so I cut one big bone hunk out, and realized that it is the perfect soup bone! So, I'll get at least two full meals, plus leftovers, out of one $6 roast (with a couple dollars of veggies tossed in)!
Sadly, my biggest goal for today won't be met...getting started on school with Olivia for the new year. She is not well enough today to focus on much of anything. I plan to read with her later, but am letting her rest and watch SpongeBob right now.

My other project for today is continuing to organize my calendar, coupons, schedule, etc. I did a half-hearted meal plan for this week but can't make it work because of quite a few unknowns...namely whether we'll be here or able to go do things. I made my coupon organizer last night, complete with nearly 80 different categories (I have a lot of coupons...if I don't narrowly define the categories, I stand in the store for 5 minutes at each item, trying to find a coupon) Today, I plan to "stuff" my organizer, finalize the meal plan and make my shopping list.

Also, we're going to do another round of freezer cooking this month. I need to plan a menu, budget and schedule for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment