Tuesday, January 20, 2009

In a funk...but looking forward to Change

I am in a funk. Have been for a week. We have been sick (one or all of us at any given time) since New Year's Eve. I am feeling overwhelmed by everything. I am making progress toward my goals (although I am worried about tomorrow's weigh-in) and generally keeping my head above water, but feel as though there is something wrong. Or rather that something is just not right. It's very unsettling.

Gretchen says this is my midlife crisis. I think she's probably right. Suddenly, I am evaluating who I am, what I've accomplished, etc. and it looks pretty bleak. I guess I just thought I'd be more together at this point in my life. I just thought it would be easier, I suppose. (silly me)

That said, I sat and cried watching the Inauguration. What a moment. I am getting teary-eyed now, writing about it. It really felt, sitting on my couch folding laundry, like *I* was a part of history. Olivia watched it with me, and we talked about how 40 years ago this would have been unheard of. She seemed to get it, but I know it will mean more to her as she grows older.

3 comments:

  1. I think this time of year is hard on everyone. I'm not exactly feeling myself either, but I tend to blame it on the weather. I'm not a winter person. I hate these gray, cold days so much. But what gets me through them is finding something to look forward to down the road. I'm sure you know what that something is for me. However, between now and then, my life will be crazy and I'll be way off my normal schedule. I don't like being off my schedule, especially with three kids and a husband who travels 5 days a week. I just keep reminding myself that this, too, shall pass and I'll be in a better place soon.

    Although I'm not a huge fan of our new President, I did watch the entire Inauguration. I, too, told my children that what was happening was going to be studied in classrooms and celebrated for many years to come. It was a proud moment for me and I am so happy to be an American today. What a great country we live in!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life is like that. Other people see how much we accomplish and how strong we are, but somehow our personal-mirrors are skewed, things don't look like we expected or hoped or like they really are. The good thing is we have those "others" in our lives to tell us the truth. Your truth is this; you are stronger than you have been in a long time, and you make me proud with the weight you carry every day. When I'm with you I feel stronger, I stand a little straighter and I am proud that people see me with you. You're not just the best thing that ever happened to me. You're the best thing that ever happened to a lot of people. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great husband you have!!!

    ReplyDelete